Work together more effectively
Lutheran Services New York Alliance grew out of United Lutheran Appeal in 2004, as an expanded ministry of the Atlantic District Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, and the Metropolitan New York Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The Alliance, while continuing the funding ministry of United Lutheran Appeal, was organized to enable the member social ministry organizations to work together more effectively, support each other more fully, and to expand into new areas of serving people in need. In 2015, the combined mission budgets of the member agencies and judicatories totaled approximately 400 million dollars. While having roots in the Lutheran tradition, the work of each member agency is non-sectarian and receives support through governmental and private donations. Each agency is designated as a 501 (c) 3 non-profit religious organization.
Support each other more fully
With a renewed vision in sight, in 2004, several member agencies, which had experience with Clinical Pastoral Education in the Metropolitan NY area, became accredited centers, including Eger Lutheran Homes and Services on Staten Island, and Lutheran Medical Center in Brooklyn, now NYU Langone. With this background, the Alliance embarked upon its first endeavor in making CPE a priority in its ministry with member agencies.
Expanding into new areas of service
The Rev. Serge A. Castigliano, PhD., was retained on a part-time consulting basis to serve as Program Director, with responsibility for the inter-agency program and obtaining accreditation as a multi-site CPE Center with the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) located at 1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103, Decatur, GA, 30033. The first Alliance CPE program was conducted in the summer of 2004, and accreditation was achieved in 2006. Several Supervisory CPE students and candidates, along with one Associate Supervisor, assisted or conducted programs until 2011, when the Rev. Silvia Misina, Min. Div., became CPE Program Manager. In 2015, Dr. Castigliano retired from his CPE work with the Alliance. The Rev. Misina became ACPE Supervisor and Program Director.
Participant diversity is a hallmark
Since 2004, several hundred CPE Interns and Residents, in addition to earning over twenty-five Supervisory CPE student units, have completed the program. Participants include clergy, seminarians, deacons and qualified laity from a broad cross-section of faith traditions, as well as cultural, ethnic and racial backgrounds. Diversity among the participants was a hallmark of the Alliance’s CPE program and an important value as related to the Alliance’s CPE mission.
Historical Time Line
May 14, 1936
The Lutheran Welfare Council, Inc.
November 4, 1974
Lutheran Charities Fund, Inc.
November 7, 1990
United Lutheran Appeal, Inc.
July 17, 2006
Lutheran Services New York Alliance, Inc.